Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Wednesday, Oct 28

 Hello Friends and Family,

Today in Math we learned about what the word "Equal" means.  We read the story Equal Schmequal.  Ask me what the problem in the story was, and how it was solved!


We learned that the equals sign in an equation is like a scale, and it means balance.   We saw on a scale that that whatever happens on one side of the equals sign needs to happen on the other side so that the equation is balanced.  Many of us even figured out that if the yellow pattern block on the right is equal to 10, then one red pattern block must equal 5.



At home challenge problem:


If the yellow pattern block = 6, what do all the other pieces equal?


We practiced the concept of equality adding shapes instead of numbers (this is called "variables").  Some of us even challenged ourselves to make equivalent equations.  We are going to keep practicing this for the next couple weeks.






A few groups presented their story retelling today too!  They did a great job.


A reminder that we will be celebrating Halloween tomorrow, and that we are welcome to wear our costumes to school. Please make sure it's a costume that I can take off/put on by myself in case I need to use the bathroom or take pieces off of it to go outside.  I need to be able to wear my mask on with it, so please no other masks.  I can definitely wear hats, crowns etc. on my head!  If my costume has a prop like a wand or broomstick, I need to leave it at home because it would get in the way of writing and stuff.   Lastly I need to be able to wear shoes with my costume, just in case of a Fire Drill!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment