Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Wednesday, Nov. 4











 Hello Friends and Family,

Today we talked a little bit about the US election and what it means to vote and why we do it.  We read a story called Everyone Has a Say.  

At the end of the story, Pudding the Snail was elected the leader of the Forest.  Afterward, we wrote about the story and about why we thought the animals in the Forest might have voted for Pudding (this is a great reading comprehension strategy called "inferring" that I can practice anytime I read books at home.  If I'm at home now, help me to practice thinking and writing about my reading).  Some of us had the chance to share our writing during Author's chair:


















In math we have continued to talk about equations and equality.  We have been practicing remembering that adding or subtracting numbers on one side of the equation means we do the same thing on the other side.   We practiced this skill using manipulatives called 2-sided chips.  If I want to make some at home, they look like this:






We practiced writing equations that matched different arrangements of chips.  If I'm doing it at home, you can start with lower numbers with me and add chips as I get familiar with the job.  Remember to remind me that if chips get added or taken away from one side of the equal sign, the same thing needs to happen on the other side to maintain a balanced equation.




Thanks for reading!






































No comments:

Post a Comment